Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

No Rubbish

I was searching around for eco-friendly, pro-environment, how-to blogs a few months ago and discovered the  Rubbish Diet. A blog about a family in the UK who took the no rubbish challenge in their community. What is the no rubbish challenge? To have no trash. In other words, to recycle, reduce, reuse, and compost the rest. First, I found this blog fascinating, and highly recommend it.
Second, I've been intrigued by the idea of doing this myself. My current living situation being what it is (bouncing around from place to place) I can't pull it off yet. But I can't stop thinking about it. Could I really and truly reduce my discard that greatly?
The paper, plastic, and glass "rubbish" would be the easiest part to recycle, reduce, or reuse. It is everything else I'm not sure about. For instance, today my trash includes a curling iron that finally gave up the ghost after 7 years. (I shall miss Mr Curler.) How would that play into the no rubbish diet? I suppose a truly dedicated individual could sit down and pull it apart piece by piece into the proper recycling bins, and maybe even save the tiny screws inside of it (reuse)? Can I be that dedicated??
Now composting is also interesting to me. I really want to try it. Obviously, this requires me having a more permanent location, as I doubt some of my hosts would appreciate me starting a dirt pile with worms in their backyards.
Has anyone tried it? I'm very interested!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...