Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

2 Year Anniversary

Me- the real face of unemployment!

It was 2 years ago today that I got laid off from my job with absolutely no warning. I had just had a positive annual review, my numbers were up, and I was happy. I had no reason to think my job was in jeopardy. When I went to log in to my email that morning I couldn't get it. A few phone calls later I found out I was unemployed. Yes, the IT department knew I was laid off before I did. Fun times.
The only positive thing about getting laid off was that I qualified for unemployment. Suddenly my "income" for the month was a little less than I used to make in one week. My "income" was less than my rent. I scrambled to do everything possible to prevent pending disaster. I had some savings, but not much. Thankfully I had little debt. I turned to couponing so that my grocery bill was not a major expense. I refused to go into debt, knowing that I had no idea how long it would be before I could start to pay it off. 
I've picked up a lot of contract and freelance work. I've attempted (and still work hard) to start my own business. I've learned a lot about finances. And I've really relied on couponing and searching out good deals to get me by, especially after my unemployment benefits ran out 6 months ago. I now only have my contract work (which is unreliable at best), and side projects for income. But I'm grateful for what I have!
It isn't the happiest anniversary in the world. And heaven knows I never expected to be unemployed 2 years later. But I can now say that I am nearly completely debt-free, and I haven't accrued any more debt in the last 2 years.
But let's hope I get a "real" job and stable income soon! Thanks for all your support along the way!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...