Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Best and Worst Christmas Songs





(Video: Erin's Top 6 or 7 or 8 Worst Christmas Songs Ever)
So now that you know what I consider to be the worst Christmas songs ever to be, I thought I'd share what I think are the best of the Christmas musical offerings!
I found this list of the 99 most essential Christmas masterpieces on Amazon today ($5 instant download!), and it is just beautiful. The kind of music you want to be playing in the background as you watch the glowing yule log on the TV.

Harry Connick, Jr "When My Heart Finds Christmas"   My favorite song? "I Pray on Christmas" #11 I sing that song all Christmas long. (My secret love and talent- thanks to my high school and elementary music teacher, I can sing gospel and swing with the best of them!)

Christmas isn't Christmas without a gorgeous version of "O Holy Night." And every year I find myself searching for the perfect rendition. This year that goes to Nathan Pacheco , who's older sister I grew up with. His mother was even my voice teacher for a while. So maybe I'm a little biased. But the boy can sing!! (Seriously, check him out!)

My overall favorite Christmas album also changes from year to year. This year that place in my heart goes to Josh Groban's Noel album

If you haven't heard the Josh Groban "duet" with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on "O Come All Ye Faithful" you are missing out! It gives me chills!

One of my absolute most favorite Christmas songs will forever and always be I'll Be Home for Christmas by Frank Sinatra. Another secret love of mine (not so secret if you were ever my roommate) is belting this song loudly whenever I hear it.

We listened to a Fresh Aire Christmas a thousand times over as a family when I was younger. I still love this album. And I still, not so secretly, like to pretend I'm conducting my imaginary symphony when I hear Carol of the Bells.

A new album out this year that is pop in nature, but is actually tolerable and enjoyable is a Very She and Him Christmas.  She and Him is voiced by the popular Zooey Deschanel of "New Girl" fame. But if you haven't caught her there yet, you may remember her from "Elf?" Remember when she sings "Baby Its Cold Outside?" If you like her voice in this clip, you'll love her (much better) version on the Very She and Him Christmas CD, which I might add, you can download instantly for $3.39!


Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...